6.13.2007

already...supposedly

as a teacher, i'm supposed to do lots of things. i'm supposed to be a model (in way more aspects than i wish, sometimes) to my kids on everything. what i eat, how i dress, what i say, how i say it. that's a lot of pressure for a pissy, potty mouthed person. luckily - i've never sworn in front of my students. i'm sure it'll happen some day, but not yet. keep your fingers crossed for me, cause i might have hell to pay if i do. but there is one thing i try to do. i try to at least speak correctly to my kids. i remember a class i took at ricks on grammar & teaching it. this teacher was rigid, but a good teacher. we had to give lots of presentations & she graded us not only on our quality lessons we presented, but also on our performance. like how many times we said, "like" "uh" " 'cause" "um" those kinda things. filler words. she also really pointed out how we're lazy in how we say and enunciate words. she also took off major points if we said "gonna" and i know i say it ALL THE BLOODY TIME. i just heard myself say "arready" instead of "already" and when i realized it, i cringed. eek. i say "arready" sometimes. and i've recently caught myself saying "supposebly" instead of supposedly. am i retarted? should i resign? do you guys say anything horribly wrong? make me feel a little better. share something that you say that's wrong!

9 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah, I use filler words sometimes, I catch myself occasionally and it pisses me off! I know I say wrong things sometimes, can't think of what they are at the moment, but I'll have to pay attention now and let you know.

Jori said...

sometimes I say inhead of instead of ahead of. It really irritates me when I say it. I also say irregardless, even though it's not a word, I think it should be. =)

Kristin said...

Nick tells me I say "wull" instead of well and "prolly" instead of probably. He can get over it! :)

Holly O'Keefe said...

I can't think of anything I do wrong, sorry.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

holly is perfect. she's so lucky. i say "like" "like" "like" like a little valley girl. it's so annoying. and i say y'all. and type it, too.

Miss Jones said...

there's another one i think i do wrong - "probly" not prob uh lee shoot!

Kristi said...

I say "git" instead of "get" which is dumb. And I say like too much also. And filler words, too...There's not a whole lot about my speech that's correct (and I was an Enlgish Major, too--so dumb). Nolan always says "sensuous," as in "Sensuous up, get me a beer" He thinks it's hilarious, but he stole it from Jeff Foxworthy.

Emily said...

Oh man I can't name them all. I lived in Nebraska for a year and people always asked me where I was from. Did you now that Utahns have an accent? I didn't but I never pronouce the g on anything ending in -ing

Miss Jones said...

yes, i'm aware of the utard accent. i hear it in my sisters kids & cringe. i want to shake them & say "we're from chicago, we don't talk like that" but they're not. they're from here. poor kids. :) and people from utah don't know how to say mountain either. i will not give in to that!!!